According to its official directive, the Department of Foreign Relations maintains seven distinct directorates for the effective management of its responsibilities. These directorates and their general areas of responsibility are as follows:
- The Directorate of International Relations is the primary point of contact through which the bilateral affairs between the Kurdistan Regional Government and foreign countries are maintained. Accordingly, this directorate manages the KRG’s day-to-day coordination and communication with the foreign representatives stationed in the Kurdistan Region.
- The Directorate of KRG Offices Abroad organizes and coordinates relations between the KRG representatives abroad and the various KRG departments and ministries in the Region. This directorate also overseas the activities of KRG foreign representatives abroad in the fields of culture, social affairs, and development.
- The Directorate of International Organizations manages affairs with the United Nations and all other international governmental and non-governmental organizations. This directorate is the DFR’s primary point of contact with United Nations Agencies and other international organizations, and it works to strengthen and develop coordination between the KRG and these entities.
- The Directorate of Protocol and Delegations manages the necessary logistical arrangements of foreign delegations invited to the Region by the KRG.
- The Directorate of Legal Affairs manages legal affairs, the ratification of documents and powers of attorney for citizens and expatriates in coordination with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Federal Republic of Iraq.
- The Directorate of Media and Communications ensures that the KRG message is transmitted to the international community, manages media affairs and the KRG/DFR websites, and it extends necessary assistance to foreign journalists.
- The Directorate of Administration and Finance organizes the administrative, financial, auditing, human resources, and other related services within the Department.
In addition, the Executive Office of the Head of the Department of Foreign Relations also organizes KRG relations and coordination with the Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Iraqi embassies abroad.